Tuesday, December 11, 2012

wedding day schedule

This blog post is a glimpse of my life on a wedding day. I think it will be very insightful for couples who have hired me for their future wedding, people who are hoping to get married soon, aspiring wedding photographers, and really anyone who is curious about how I spend my day photographing weddings!


Oh, how I LOVE photographing weddings. As much as I love photographing families, babies, and pets, weddings are my favorite. They are so amazing to photograph and I love being able to witness/be a part of all the behind the scene action! From the bride putting on her dress and the final touches on her makeup, to the groom and groomsmen's "locker room" talk! I think I'm getting ahead of myself though. Let's start at the beginning!

I usually start the day with my bride and her girls. As of now I shoot weddings by myself but that will probably change in the coming years. Anyways, back to the girls! This is when I photograph the women putting on makeup, getting their hair done, and the dress and some of the ring shots. I love being able to see all the excitement in the brides eyes as she is getting ready for her big day! Then I head over to wherever the groom and his men are. I proceed to take photographs of the men getting ready, this is usually very different from the girls. It's amazing the things you will hear when you get a group of guys together! Luckily I have a good sense of humor and come from a big family, so I can hold my own! I love seeing the groom try to act like he isn't anxious to get to the isle or nervous about crying when he sees his bride for the first time. I've done enough weddings to know, all grooms are thinking about these things!
 Once the men are ready we head out and find a good spot and take their photos. I usually spend about an hour with the guys. This is actually one of my favorite times in most weddings. You'd be surprised but they guys are usually so great during the photos. They always come up with their own ideas and I always seem to get some great candid shots! Once I am done with them I meet up with the girls. During this time we take a few more photos of the girls getting ready, usually the bride putting on her dress and what not. Then we are off to take their before ceremony photos. The girls are always great but can be just a tad more difficult to work with only because they are in heals and dresses, makes things a little more limited! We usually finish before ceremony photos 30 minutes prior to the ceremony actually starting, that way everyone has a chance to freshen up and I usually snap a few photographs of the reception site if it is in the same location or I scout out my spot for the ceremony.
 Then of course it's show time! Ceremonies today are usually less than 30 minutes, so I have to be really focused so that I don't miss a thing! This is also one of the biggest reasons why I am thinking of using a second shooter. The ceremony is obviously the most important part of a wedding. One thing that is so amazing to capture is the first time the bride and groom see each other as the bride walks down the isle. It can be a little tricky if there is only one person with a camera!
 After the ceremony I have a very limited time to capture all of the family photos, full bridal party photos, and the bride and groom photos. This time can be pretty chaotic because there's so much to do in such a small amount of time, only about an hour! Then the party begins! The reception is always a blast. This is the time when I get to photograph the most candid shots. Everything is so in the moment and everyone is so full of joy. I love when couples have surprises during the reception. Hilarious dances or fun ideas with the bouquet or garder toss. Those kinds of things make for GREAT photographs. Two thing that I LOVE about weddings, the food and the CAKE. Almost every wedding I've worked has had amazing food and even better dessert! Such a great bonus for working a wedding!
 I usually stay for a few hours in to the reception. Some weddings end during that time and I'm able to capture the newly married couple make their grand exit, but some weddings last much longer and my time is up before the couples are ready to leave. By the end of the night I am usually EXHAUSTED. If the wedding is in my town then I get home, back up the photos and I even try and edit a few. Sometimes I can't resist!

In honor of my wedding schedule post I am adding a few of my favorite wedding photos to date! I hop you enjoy them!















No comments:

Post a Comment