Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday- Networking

This week I've had one thing on my mind. Networking! Something I'm starting over on again since moving to Sacramento.This year first and for most, I really want my main focus for my photography to be weddings and then portrait sessions after that. In previous Thoughtful Thursday posts I have mentioned how up to this point I've made my business mostly from word of mouth.  Since moving to Sacramento, a city where I know virtually no one, I've had to start doing things differently. First I starting looking for local bridal shows. These are great for meeting brides of course, but also for meeting other vendors in the wedding industry. As a photographer, I think two of the best resources are wedding planners and venues. Venues and wedding are usually two of the first things brides book. Then usually the photographer. So it's best to reach out to those first. In reality though, not all brides start their wedding planning the same way. I think the best way to go about it is find one or maybe two different companies in each wedding category and make strong connections with them.
Another great resource is other photographers! Sounds kind of silly right? Why would they be giving out their "competition's" name? Well, sometimes photographers will get a request for a date they are already booked. Usually the bride will ask for some referrals. Do you get where I'm going with this? If not I'll lay it out simply, they may refer you! I know I've had to refer brides to other photographers a few times! The other great thing about networking with other photographers is you get to learn from them, share stories and vent to them when you are having a hard time! As much as my husband is willing to listen when I'm having doubts about my photography or getting down about how much business I have, it's so much different when I'm able to talk to someone who has gone through a similar situation. I have photographer friends who are in the same area as me and some that are across the country. It's amazing to have so much support from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment