Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday- I Yam who I Yam- Sacramento Wedding/ Portrait Photographer

A few months ago I joined a photographer group on Facebook. For the most part it is so informative and helpful, but sometimes I see people get caught up in what other people think/do. Sometimes, I see myself get caught up in what other people think/do. I have to remind myself from time to time, that my clients hire me for who I am, and for what I do! I think there is a lot that can come from asking help, getting advice from peers, and learning from people who have more experience than you. The truth is, if everyone did the same thing, photography would be SO BORING. Photography is an art form! It's creative and one of the reasons, I believe, there are so many photographers out there. It's easy to see someone with success and wonder what are they doing that I'm not? How can I learn how to do it? In most cases, they are just being themselves. They aren't copying another photographers work. They found what they love and do best.
In photography there are many rules/ technical aspects. I believe it is important to learn but what's that saying we all know? Rules are made to be broken!!! Be who you are, not what other's say you should be! I think the biggest thing that makes a photograph memorable, important, inspiring, is the emotion contained within it. Although I have studied the technical aspects of Photography, I tend to try and focus more on the emotional aspect. What's the point of a photo if it doesn't tell a story?
Another thing that seems to always stick in my mind, is what so many photographers have told me is appropriate to wear when shooting a wedding. I've seen/heard of many photographers who think all black is the only thing that should be worn. I have to say, that I don't agree! While I do agree that you don't want to take away from the bride or the wedding, all black shouldn't be the only option! As a creative person I love to be able to express myself through all outlets, including fashion. Even though I wear color at weddings I'm never distracting. Oddly enough, there has been quite a few times that I actually ended up wearing the same color pallet as the wedding I'm shooting. Which actually allows me to look cute but blend in enough with the wedding! I can't help who I am, and honestly I don't want to help it! Be who you are, not a clone of the person next to you! Whether it's your business model, your style of editing or shooting, or what you wear! BE YOU!!!! I'll be over here being who I am!

Enjoy a few photos from the wedding I second shot and the wedding I had last Saturday. So fun to finally have some photos of me working! FYI, I make super cute faces... JUST thought you should know that! HAHAHA

see super cute face huh ;)

Why yes, I more often than not shoot with my mouth open!


You can't really tell from this picture, but I'm pretty sure I was dancing here...
Yep, I realized when I was driving to the wedding that I matched their colors! 
I will be using a second shooter on quite a few weddings this year so I will finally have more photos of me in ACTION! Stay tuned, and stay YOU!


2 comments:

  1. You are so adorable! And your photos are really nice. Where did you go to school? I studied at Brooks Institute of Photography in Ventura, CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am actually mostly self taught. I had taken a couple basic photography classes at the community college but I felt like I would be able to learn more of what I wanted getting out and doing it on my own. I've also watched online webinars and chatted with different photographers that inspire me!

      Delete