Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday- How to Chose a Photographer

This subject has been on my mind a lot lately. Of course there's the most obvious way to chose a photographer, by their work. Honestly though, I think there is so much more to it than that. A photographer can take beautiful photographs but what if the process is not a good one? I've heard it from clients before that they have had a not so great experience with a previous photographer. Recently a client of mine was in Hawaii and had gotten some photos taken. During the session the photographer didn't really know very many poses or had very many ideas. I partially get that, maybe it was an off day. I've had sessions where my brain just will not function. It happens to the best of us, but moving on. When the session was over they were told it would be a week and a half. Now it has been over two weeks and the photographer has not showed them any of the photos, contacted them or returned any of their calls. It makes me really sad to hear of someone not having a good experience! This situation is what really put this topic in my head. So these are the qualities and aspects I believe you should look for when trying to find a photographer. This goes for any type of session or even an event.

1. Does their style fit your style?
            Do you like more natural editing, vintage, more enhanced? If you like more natural looking photographs you don't want to choose a photographer that goes overboard with Photoshop. Pay attention to the peoples skin in their photographs, that is usually the first giveaway if they are "Photoshop happy".
 
2. Do you like the way they pose their subjects?
           One style of session that is becoming more and more popular, and a style that I am migrating towards, is what's called a "lifestyle" session. These sessions are supposed to be in the moment, a memory. Is that something you are looking for or do you like more traditional posing? Always look at more than one session from a photographer to get a better idea of their style and how they pose their subjects.
 
3. Can you find good reviews from previous clients?
          This is very important. In no way am I saying that my clients bad experience with the other photographer is her fault, but if she had seen the comments on the photographer's Facebook page, she probably would have thought twice about using her. You are paying money, and most likely at least a couple hundred dollars for your photo session, the last thing you want to do is look at your photographs and remember the bad experience instead of cherishing the happy memories that were captured.
 
4. (This one is for weddings) Have an engagement session prior to the wedding.
        I think this is huge for not only for the client but the photographer as well. Your wedding day will be one of the biggest, most memorable days of your life. Do you really want the first time you work with the photographer to be your wedding day? I think this is so important that I include an engagement session in my wedding package. What if you don't connect with the photographer, you don't like how they posed you or how the session flowed? On the brighter side, if you finish up with the engagement session and it was amazing and you love the photos, you know that you will be able to relax on your wedding day. I have noticed that the couples I do engagement sessions with are more comfortable with photos on the wedding day.
 
I think these four points are the most important aspects when trying to find the photographer that fits you. If you are wanting a photo session and not sure, I am always open to talk! If you are in my area, I love meeting with clients prior to a session. In my opinion, it's a photographers job to give you not just great photos but a great experience. I strive to do that with every client I have.
 
I hope this helped anyone who is not sure how to go about finding a photographer. Also I just so happen to know an AWESOME photographer! (wink wink) If you are interested in a session message me at jhallphotograph@gmail.com
 
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment